Bharat Bhasin, 1977-2005

If you have any photographs of Bharat that you’d like to share, please send them to bharatbhasin(at)googlegroups.com, with few lines about where it was taken and how you knew him, and anything else you’d like to write, and we’ll post them onto this blog.

Thursday, July 28, 2005

The Gold Standard

"I cannot even begin to think how many people across the world are in pain because of Bharat's untimely and cruel passing away. He was my role model. He was barely 2 years older to me. He was only 27.

I have so many memories of Bharat. Powerful memories. That's because he made such a big impression. Some images come to mind:

Hamma...Hamma!! - His favourite song. I still remember how he made the Indian delegation swing to this song, innumerable times at so many international conferences. Kurta - His signature. Bombay Boys - One of my fondest memories of Bharat and his NC team at Nat Cong 98 in Jaipur doing an awesome roll call on the song "MumBhai".

Vision - If I remember correctly, Bharat and his NC team were the "Look Beyond" team. Bharat always aimed high. More importantly, he got all of us to aim high as well. His legacy is still carrying on in AIESEC India. He changed AIESEC India's destiny, and in the process changed the destiny of all the AIESECers who came after him.

Character - He always did the right thing. He always meant what he said. He was a straight shooter. Laughter - I can still hear his booming laughter. It came to him easily. Bharat exuded a quiet confidence. He had such a strong personality, so much charisma. As Nirish said, Bharat truly did set the Gold Standard.

I know that there are so many of us desperately trying to keep his memory alive in different ways. I know whatever we do will never be enough, but it's the least we can do.

We should feel lucky to have known Bharat. To have been a part of his world. And though he's gone and taken his world with him, I know he will continue to live on in our hearts and minds...I hope and pray that wherever he is - he is in peace".

Anupam Yog
AIESEC Alumnus

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home