Bharat Bhasin, 1977-2005

If you have any photographs of Bharat that you’d like to share, please send them to bharatbhasin(at)googlegroups.com, with few lines about where it was taken and how you knew him, and anything else you’d like to write, and we’ll post them onto this blog.

Sunday, August 07, 2005

Bharat represents one of the happiest times of my life

"I deeply regret Bharat's sudden death and I would firstly like to convey my condolences to his family and loved ones.

Thank you, NC team, for setting up this (blog)'shrine' which helps to channel a bit of emotions and memories on a great guy. My last e-mail contact with him was some weeks before his marriage to welcome him to Europe and to invite him to come over to enjoy Amsterdam with his wife. I feel very sad this will never happen.

It's strange how something so tragically as this event can also unite people (I met my team the other day by phone to share our feelings on Bharat) and how it can bring back so many good feelings.

My memories of Bharat during a fascinating NC 97-98 term and thereafter are still very vivid. I started that year as a foreign stranger but soon became one of the AIESEC India gang. And that's also thanks to Bharat. In a way he embodied the people of India I admire and feel close to. For one he was always very hospitable. My last night out with him was some years ago when he invited me to celebrate New Year's Eve with his friends in Bombay. We had a great night and he talked about his future in life with great passion. During our national conferences he appeared to me as one of the sharpest and most committed, even in those typical 'after 10pm' meetings that went on forever. And, as all these pictures on the blog show, we had an incredible amount of fun together, like in the plenary meetings joking with roll-calls, evening parties, and on post-conference tours (like the one time in Kodaikanal when we made a bike trip near the lake and discovered the Manna bakery with legendary applie pie).

All in all, Bharat represents one of the happiest times of my life, and I am grateful for that. I will miss him."

Nils Bal, NC 1997-1998
Nils.bal@lycos.nl

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

just read about Bharat on Aloke's blog. Couldn't believe for some time what exactly he meant by 'last respects'!!!

Aloke's very right when he uses the words such energy, excitement passion etc while talking abt Bharat! I had known him from my 1st national conference in Mahabaleshwar & he definately relates very well to these words & more...

This is a shocking news!

I am still wondering what exactly happened to him? Would appreciate if someone could post that as well...as I am sure amny other ppl would wanna know too!

Anyways, what i can say is that Bharat would continue to live in the minds of a lot of ppl...& forever.

Deepak
@ UAE

6:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home