Bharat Bhasin, 1977-2005

If you have any photographs of Bharat that you’d like to share, please send them to bharatbhasin(at)googlegroups.com, with few lines about where it was taken and how you knew him, and anything else you’d like to write, and we’ll post them onto this blog.

Sunday, August 07, 2005

I had nothing but the deepest admiration and the most genuine fondness for Bharat

"My generation of AIESEC in India grew up on stories of Bharat Bhasin - his charisma, his legacy, the famed MC team he led.

I got to really know Bharat much after his AIESEC career. Straight out of B-School, Bharat had just moved to Bombay to start work with HDFC Bank - I had just started my year on AIESEC India's MC. Over the months that followed, Bharat was to become a very close friend and earn a permanent place on my list of all-time favourite persons. Especially the last 6 months of my MC term, when there was hardly a day when my life was not touched in some way by his magic.

Bharat had a number of special and endearing qualities. Warmth. He may have seemed larger than life, but it didn't take me long to feel like I'd known him for years. His Colaba apartment was to become like a second home in Bombay. Confidence. He exuded it, at all times. I remember watching videos of ABD'98 (homework for us rookies) - watching the 20-yr-old Bharat alongside Ratan Tata and Adi Godrej, running the press conference with an incredible ease. I remember the same feeling of awe his presence inspired, as Bharat walked into an AIESEC conference, even as an alumnus. Humour. He could always make me smile, and on many an occasion, he would have me rolling on the floor with his hilarious Delhi-style humour. Balance. He really worked hard, played hard. His pursuit of professional excellence was relentless, yet he never seemed to lose sight of the simple pleasures of life. Intellect. With Bharat around, boredom was hardly an option. Bharat could carry on a conversation with anyone about anything - with terrific insight. Professionalism. While I didn't get to see him while in AIESEC action, I was part of the MC team that inducted Bharat to our Board of Directors - I remember being extremely impressed by his involvement at this forum - as an alumnus of AIESEC, he always come across as passionate, constructive and balanced. He played his part perfectly - always well prepared, always added value. Spontaneity. He was always up for some fun. I remember calling him one afternoon saying 'hey, we're off to Goa for a few days, leaving tonight, wanna come?'... and the lovable man says 'give me a couple of hours to get out of the office, get my stuff and I'll see you at the bus station!' My year in Bombay is filled with great memories of time spent together with Bharat.

My last contact with Bharat was a couple of months ago - when he sent me an invitation to his wedding. I remember vividly, that feeling of elation - the rush of joy the news brought. I thought Bharat and Bhavna made a beautiful couple. (It was heartbreaking to have missed the wedding, on account of being so far from India). And to think that here I am, writing this some days later, struggling to come to terms with the fact that Bharat is no longer. Tragic, and simply unfair.

I had nothing but the deepest admiration and the most genuine fondness for Bharat. The Bharat Bhasin I knew was a great friend, and a truly special, lovable human being.

My deepest sympathies to his parents, Bhavna, both families, his friends - and everyone whose lives were touched by Bharat - God knows that's a long list."

Naaz Kazi, AIESEC India MC 2002-03

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home